The Capacity Building on Repository Development which held on the 15th of March to 17th of March 2017 was facilitated by Mr. Ambrose Chieke from Messrs Management Edge Ltd and in attendance were ICT personnel from selected Nigerian Universities and eleven NgREN staff.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES AT THE TRAINING
The event commenced with opening remarks from Mr. Adeniyi Ilesanmi. He welcomed the participants and went further to highlight the various concerns that necessitated the training. Of major importance was the need for universities to access digitized educational contents from member institutions. This, he said, could be achieved when each member institution develops their Institutional Repository that will warehouse all their electronic resources. He further mentioned that DSpace was chosen as the choice repository Application because it was Open Source and already has a very large community of users. He concluded his remark by wishing all a fruitful training exercise.
The facilitator, Mr. Chieke first taught the theory of DSpace Repository before engaging the participants in an hands-on installation process on their laptops. The class was interactive and easy to understand. The topics discussed during the training included:
- Introduction to Dspace and Dspace Installation and configuration
- Repository structure and items in Dspace
- Creating and Managing users and groups
- Introduction to Metadata in Dspace
- Technical basics
- Metadata Input customisation
- Managing identifiers in Dspace
- Item submission workflows
- Import and Export
- Dspace statistics and google analytics
- SWORD basics
- Repository Exposition And Content Harvesting
The training came to a close at 4:00pm on the 17th of March 2017.